World War 2 in Old Cleeve and Blue Anchor

 Recently I was sent a newscutting that was reminiscing about the pill boxes along the coast of West Somerset. I knew that somewhere in my archived files of previous research (in this instance into material for my book A-Z of Minehead and Dunster) there were some records regarding enemy action over the parish of Old Cleeve. Compared to other regions of the country West Somerset escaped largely unscathed according to the Civil Defence Records at Somerset Heritage Centre. Here are the extracted records for Blue Anchor and Old Cleeve:

Fall of Enemy Missiles and crashed aircraft


For more information about the Henley plane see here.

On a future  visit to Somerset Heritage Centre I will see if I can find out more detail of the various pill boxes and defences placed along the Blue Anchor seafront.



Comments

Popular Posts